1. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
A. guilt B. charge
C. blame D. accusation
[答案] C. blame.
[注释]take the blame for 对......承担责任。Take charge of 负责管理 (照顾) 。[注意]charge 前无冠词the.
2. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for B. call forth
C. call off D. call up
[答案] C. call off [注释] 详见III,25,26注释。
3. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn't _____ what color it was.
A. look out B. make out
C. get across D. take after
[答案] B. make out
4. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet
C. finally D. accordingly
[答案] D. accordingly.
[注释]accordingly (=for that reason, therefore) 因此, 所以。
5. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn't like.
A. attempt B. trouble
C. power D. effort
[答案] D. effort.
[注释] effort (作可数名词用) (=vigorous attempt) 努力的尝试：Does it require a great effort of will to give up smoking? (戒烟需要坚强的毅力吗?)
6. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent
C. suppress D. ruin
[答案] A. extinguish.
[注释] extinguish (=put out) vt. 扑灭 (火焰等) 。Stop the fire虽然也可以搭配, 但按本句题意用extinguish为最佳。
7. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but B. anything but
C. above all D. rather than
[答案] B. anything but.
[注释] anything but (=far from being) 根本不; The boys knew they bad broken the rules, and they were anything but happy when they were called to the office. (=They were unhappy and afraid.) nothing but 只不过; Don't have him for a friend; he's nothing but a criminal. (不要把他当朋友, 他只不过是个罪犯。) I have nothing but two dollars. (我只有2美元。) above all最重要的。rather than 而不是.
8. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off
C. written off D. picked up
[答案] C. written off. [注释] write off报废, 参看III, 200.注释; break off参看III.13.注释; take off参看III.170.注释; pick up参看III.130,129.注释。
9. On this happy occasion, I'd like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your kind cooperation.
A. even so B. ever so
C. as yet D. so far
[答案] B. ever so.
[注释]ever so (=very) 非常; It's ever so cold.与名词搭配时则用ever such, 如：She's ever such a nice girl. (她是一位非常好的姑娘。) even so (=although that is true, nevertheless; still) 即使如此：The fire was out, but even so, the smell of smoke was strong. (=The fire was out, but the smell was still there.)
10. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
A. place B. effect
C. post D. office
[答案] B. effect. [注释]take effect 生效。